by Jeff Comella Photography
11 Mistakes to avoid with your senior pictures.
- Picking the wrong photographer.
- Wearing the wrong clothes.
- Choosing the wrong season.
- Lacking confidence during their session.
- Don’t know what you want.
- Seniors that are unprepared.
- Under estimating the importance of good make up and good retouching.
- Getting your hair cut or a new hair style right before your session.
- Realize your cell phone camera is not good enough for senior pictures.
- Getting tanned before your session.
- Forgetting to relax and have fun.
1. Picking the wrong photographer.
Compare photographers by checking out their website. You are shopping for a photographer’s style. While budget is a consideration, you will have these photos for a lifetime so choose based upon what like and can afford. Call and ask questions before choosing. Do they have a studio, do they use lighting, and can they provide you with a yearbook photo?
2. Wearing the wrong clothes.
Sometimes clothes you like do not flatter you in photographs. Many times clothes can add extra weight in a photograph. Consult with your photographer before your shoot date to discuss clothing.
3. Choosing the wrong season
While you can shoot all year around, weather, wind and direct sun can be a major factor in planning your photo session. Most seniors are photographed between their junior and senior year during the summer break.
4. Lacking confidence during their session.
Don’t be shy, bring your energy and be confident. It will show in your photos.
5. Don’t know what you want.
Many seniors simply don’t know what they want…Plan ahead with your parents where you plan to place the main portrait and which wall. Get a sense of what size would look good for the space.
6. Seniors that are unprepared.
Think entire outfits…don’t forget your belt, jewelry, ear rings, uniforms, sports gear and accessories. Make sure your clothes are wrinkle free.
7. Under estimating the importance of good make up and good retouching.
A professional makeup artist makes a huge difference in your photos. There is no need to worry about blemishes as they will be covered with makeup or removed with retouching.
8. Getting your hair cut or a new hair style right before your session.
Girls, trying out a new hair style is not the time for senior pictures. Guys, getting your hair cut 2 weeks before your session is a good amount of time to look great. You want your hair not be too short or too long.
9. Realize your cell phone’s camera is not good enough for senior pictures.
Cell phone cameras are great, but they are not a replacement for high quality senior pictures. Natural light can be okay for candid photos, but high quality senior photos rely on good lighting indoors and outdoors.
10. Getting tanned before your session.
Getting a tan before your session is ill advised. Tan 1-2 weeks before your session if you want, but it is often not necessary.
11. Forgetting to relax and have fun!
Getting great senior pictures takes planning and preparation but don’t forget it is part of your senior year experience and should be fun and a great memory to add to your bucket list.
©2017 Jeff Comella
Duh, c’mon you know the answer to that…Jeff Comella Photography near Wexford. lol
Here is a quick take from yesterday’s session with Rachel Brunner of Pine Richland. We got some great shots! We love black and white photos here at the studio, but we call this Vintage, which is both color and black and white combined together for a unique look. We vary it so that every photo is different and special. Here is another from our archives of a guy on our barn wood. Enjoy! 🙂
Welcome to the new Jeff Comella Photography blog. Our mission is to provide our photography clients, high school senior prospects and fellow photographers with information and entertainment about us.
So visit often and enjoy the ride. 🙂
This is our new brochure for class of 2013 featuring senior pictures for our greater Pittsburgh clients. We’ve had students from over 20 different schools!